Pages

Vintage Tea Cup Favors

Friday, April 29, 2011




 My DIY wedding labor:
I did not have a double boiler so I used an old percolator that my mother use to make coffee in on our camping trips. when I first moved in with John we didn't own a coffee pot so I would use the percolator all the time to make coffee but the lid has been M.I.A so now I use it to melt wax.
      






I love the chipped one

 Here is what you will need:
  • Double boiler
  • A handful of half-burnt candles. If you dont have any you can buy a block of candle wax of your choice from a craft store. 
  • Wicks and wick sustainers (one of each teacup). I made my own because I had so many to do but if your only making 20 or less I would just buy them already made.
  • Candle thermometer/or Candy Thermometer 
  • Kitchen tongs 
  • Long wooden skewers
  • teacups
  1. Take the bigger saucepan and fill it one third of the way with water. Warm the water over medium heat until it’s simmering.
  2. Place the half-burnt candles in the smaller saucepan and place that inside the bigger saucepan. The candles will melt slowly in the double bath.
  3. Clip the candle thermometer to the side of the pan and keep the wax at about 180 degrees.
  4. Once the candles have burned down to a liquid wax consistency, pull the old wicks out with kitchen tongs. Be careful! The wax is hot. Throw out the old wicks.
  5. Take one teacup. Measure a wick long enough to stick out of the top of the teacup.
  6. Stick one end of the wick through the center of the metal wick sustainer and pinch. Tie the other end to the center of a wood skewer.
  7. Holding the skewer horizontally, dip the metal wick sustainer in the melted wax, pull it out, and then stick it to the bottom of your teacup. The skewer can rest across the top of the teacup, keeping your wick vertical.
  8. Pour the wax into the cup very carefully. Stop about half an inch from the top edge of the cup.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8 with the other teacups.
  10. The candles should harden in about an hour. When they’re dry, untie the skewers and trim the wicks so they peek out about half an inch from the top of the candles.



UPDATE
here are 2 photos of my table at my wedding

Grandmothers vintage tablecloth


Flowers in tins, vintage tablecloths and DIY teacup candles

11 comments

NRA said...

Totally sweet and perfect!

Anonymous_X said...

Like the rich color of the last photo. :)

oh, and the low angle too.

V.DUB said...

Thanks :)

Rachel B said...

good job!! I can see my teacup ;)

Brianna Corney said...

Where did you get the teacups? I would like to do this for the favors at my sisters wedding shower but would like to keep the cost low.

vania francesca said...


Your best bet is Goodwill, Salvation Army and small thrift stores maybe wait till they have a store sale my local Salvation Army has a 40% sale every few months. Sometimes I can find good prices or bargain at antique shops but most of them are way over priced. I think it would be adorable for a wedding shower. I went to a shower once where we brought our own tea cup and made tea. You could have people bring a cup and make candles as a craft. Happy hunting!

Betsy Waggoner said...

Will a candy thermometer do?

Debra Anderson said...

Very attractive candles. Love them!

vania francesca said...

Hi @Betsy Waggoner Yes you can use a Candy thermometer.

Rustown Mom said...

Omigosh! i did a similar thing recently ladies at my job. I love these as a mother's day sussie for ladies at work. I love the teacups you used - gorgeous!
http://cannaryfamily.blogspot.com/2014/05/mealplan-monday-111-and-mothers-day-by.html

Stacy McDermott said...

These are really sweet & love the idea of using vintage finds. I've featured them on my latest post on my party inspiration blog http://www.stylemyparty.co.uk/blog/ladies-party-favours/